|Goods train in Springwood c1880s. |
Photograph shows level crossing that existed before overhead bridge.
De Carteret Lockie was Springwood’s second 'official' stationmaster. He had been stationed at The Rock near Wagga Wagga and was appointed to replace James Tanner at Springwood in October 1885. He married Annie Batley in Orange in 1876. The couple had three sons, Horace, born in Orange; Sidney born in Bathurst and Percival born in Cootamundra. Little De Carteret was born while they were in Springwood. He was baptised by Reverend Cranswick on 6 April 1886. This event made him one of the first babies to have been christened in Christ Church, Springwood.
Their stay in the area was short lived because De Carteret was promoted to Millthorpe in December 1886. His replacement was Harding Melville who was not appointed until August 1887.